Listen Live on  
 

Kiss 108

Boston's #1 Hit Music Station
 
 

Teenager’s Cell Phone Caught on Fire and Melted While She Slept On It

 
Posted July 28th, 2014 @ 6:02pm

This girl is lucky that the pillow was between her and her cell phone.

Ariel Tolfree, a 13-year-old from Dallas was sleeping on top of her Samsung Galaxy S4 smart phone when it reportedly caught fire and melted while it was under her pillow.

“The whole phone melted,” her dad, Thomas Tolfree, tells KDFW. “The plastic, the glass. You can’t even really tell if was a phone.” 

Ariel says her phone slipped beneath her pillow while she was sleeping and in the middle of the night, the smell of something burning work her up.

“I didn’t think much of it, so i went back to sleep, and then I work up again and it was more prominent,” Tolfree remembers. 

Her father believes that the phone overheated, which caused the battery to expand and catch fire. Just look at the damage it did on her sheets…

 A salesperson from Samsung told KDFW that their products are indeed safe and that the battery inside Ariel’s phone was a replacement and not an original Samsung part. 

The company also pointed out that in their user guide for the Samsung Galaxy, it does warm costumers not to cover their smart phones with bedding or any other material, because that could restrict airflow. 

Recommended Stories

More from Kiss 108

*