A 6-year-old competitive dancer had to have one of her legs amputated last week after contracting a flesh-eating bacteria caused by strep throat.
Tessa Puma came down with strep throat in March. She took antibiotics and was said to be recovering, but last week started to exhibit flu-like symptoms and had a bad infection in her leg.
Doctors informed the family that the bacteria had reached her bloodstream and they had to remove her leg to save her life.
Tessa has been dancing since she was three and was even recruited to her studio’s competitive team because of her talents.
"She’s one of the youngest on our team," her dance teacher, Stacey Kopec, said. "Dance has been her life. It’s been devastating to her whole team obviously. She’s so bubbly and incredible just an amazing kid. Just keep our tiny dancer in your prayers."